Monday, August 18, 2014

Life's Little Lessons

I'm wondering some days if Marion has left her mind back at home.  Sunday morning arrives and along with it the the revelation her shorts, bathing suit and t-shirt have gone missing from the day before where they were hung on the balcony railing to dry in the wind.  A quick search of the property in front of our unit yielded no return.  Theft? Gone with the wind? In minutes she had all 20 hotel staff vigorously searching the property, up and down the road, in the palm trees and along the sidewalk.  Police were contacted, bullitens issued and all means of social media was alerted.  Sadly, all of it for naught.  We made our way to church with images swirling in Marion's head of being faced with swimsuit shopping the next day which I'm told, for most women, is like having to buy a house or choose a carpet color.  Not for me.  I go to the nearest WalMart, bee-line to the men's portly section, pick a pair, and faster than you can say "Obrigardo" I'm back in my car and down the street.  But I get that it's not the same for the fairer sex, and I'm a sensitive guy, so all I could do was offer my  verbal sympathy and support.

I tend to be a bit of a fatalist at times, so in my mind I began to play out the next few years.  I had planned my mind would get weaker faster than my spouses, so I was really counting on her to carry the load for the latter years.  Now I'm not sure that's going to happen.  I better step up my game and sharpen the grey cells cuz I might be the one left with the keys.  Upon return from church Marion found all 3 precious items in her suitcase, neatly tucked away and folded from the night before...

Sunday was a special day.   Our brother from another mother Chris was ordained as office bearer in the morning and read a sermon the same evening that he translated for us through Google.  Chris doesn't want to hear congratulatory remarks, and he won't like to hear that I'm proud of him because he sincerely believes he's just a mere servant of God doing kingdom work.  He's right of course, but the Brazilian federation can be thankful for this man and the tireless work he does.  I'm happy He's  on my team,  and I'm pleased to call him brother.

Not all life's lessons come in the forms one might expect.  Today I learned something you won't find in dusty books or renowned universities.  They were taught by a little 5 year old girl Lila.  We were in the midst of a board meeting at our Ecola Biblica Christa, wrestling with some weighty issues when the school bell rang, signaling the end of the day for the primary grades.  Two children burst into our meeting to give their respective parents a hug, obviously delighted to know they were here and happy to see them.  I was annoyed at the interference, the blatant disregard for adults meeting, and the disrespect shown. All that, until young Lila Raap changed my heart by coming through the same door     straight toward me with a huge hug and a smile.  I'm not often caught for words like my good friend Otto will attest to, but I was now, and to be honest it felt good.  The wee ones have something to tell, and we can learn from them.  For those who have been blessed with them, hush up and take the time to listen.  Thank you Lord for sending this little angel when my my heart needed it the most.



1 comment: